CAUTION- Do this BEFORE upgrading iOS or before getting a new iPhone
(Note, this article was originally published September 17, 2013 when the iPhone 5 was released. It has been updated for newest iOS 10–steps haven’t changed since iOS7)
Whether you are buying an iPhone 7 or 7+ or upgrading to iOS10, you need to take steps today to get ready. Upgrading to a new operating system (iOS) can wreak havoc on existing apps and there is a possibility of losing data. Likewise, if you are moving from your current iPhone to a new iPhone 7 or 7+, you want your data and apps to be transferred to the new phone. Here’s what you should do today.
- iOS 10 is an Upgrade –An upgrade brings new features and major changes to your phone, including new ways to do old tasks. It’s like getting a new phone so don’t ignore the message when you appears on your phone. See the new features of iOS 10.
- Is Your iPhone/iPad/iPod Upgradable to iOS 10? The iOS 10 upgrade is available for the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone SE, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus. Is also available for the iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, iPad 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, and the iPad Pros. It will also work on the iPod touch 6th generation.
- Get rid of unused apps – (you may need the memory for the new operating system) You can do this on the phone or in iTunes with the phone connected to your computer (more reliable than using WiFi sync). Hold your finger on an app until it wiggles then tap the “X” and confirm deletion. Remember, you can re-download any of your apps from iTunes at anytime. Be careful if you delete apps where you have stored information. If that information isn’t backed up, it will be deleted with the app.
- Organize apps for easy access–This is a good time to put apps into groups (folders). While you can type the name of an app in the search field, grouping apps can make it easier to find apps for certain situations–a road trip, travel, the gym, finding movies, or streaming movie options.
- Be sure you have the newest iTunes first. —If there is a newer version of iTunes for your computer, you should be automatically notified when you open iTunes. If not, click on “check for updates” in the iTunes menu.
- MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!!! –
Back up your phone- Part 1–There are different ways to backup your phone or device. One way is to backup the iCloud apps, data, photos, etc. The iCloud backup can be done automatically by going to Settings>iCloud> (scroll down to)Storage & Backup> and turn on iCloud Backup. If you scroll down more you can tap a button that says “Back Up Now.” Your phone will be backed up anytime it is connected to the Internet and plugged in to power.
Back up your Phone – Part 2 –You also need to backup all of your apps, settings, and data. This should be done using iTunes. While you can sync wirelessly to iTunes, I recommend connecting your device to your computer using the USB cable, right clicking on the device in the left column, and choosing “back up.”
Back up your Phone – Part 3– If you have apps that sync with an online cloud, be sure to go into the menus to sync one last time before you upgrade your phone. I have a password app called Memento, I have to tell it to sync with the online site so I don’t lose my password info.
- Set Aside Time to Upgrade – If you are at work, expecting a phone call, or otherwise using your iPhone, postpone upgrading until you have at least 1/2 an hour that you can put your phone out of commission so the upgrade isn’t interrupted.
- Read how to upgrade your phone–Tomorrow I will post a step-by-step that tells you how to upgrade your iPhone, iPod, or iPad. While the article is about an iOS 5 upgrade, the steps are the same in iOS 7.
- Upgrade your apps–When a new iOS arrives, many of your current apps will need to be updated. Many will get new fun features. Be sure to go to the App Store app and “update all” of your apps. This may be unnecessary as iOS 7 will no longer tell you when you need to upgrade and will automatically download upgrades as they become available.
- Learn How to Use the New Features