10 Reasons Why I Am Captivated With the Samsung Captivate- Review
If you have read my blog entries, you know that I am an avid iPhone user. I’ve always found Android to be a little more cumbersome to add apps and I get a little confused with the combination of widgets and app icons on the home screen. But I have recently been reviewing a Samsung Captivate (for its ability to network with other Samsung AllShare products), and I must say…I’m captivated.
What is it about the Captivate that I like better than any other Android phone I have played with?
- Beautiful Screen and Beautiful Design. Firstly, it is beautiful. It has a super-AMOLED screen that has rich colors and is crystal clear and it’s a little larger than the iPhone. The screen is bright and easier to read than other phones. The phone itself also thin and flatter than other phones, and has a clean design.
- Unlock the Phone Without Looking. To unlock the phone when it has been idle, simply swipe anywhere on the lock screen. Other phones, like the Droid, require that you look at the phone to find that particular area where you must swipe.
- Long Battery Life. The battery lasts longer than other Android phones I’ve use.
- Easy to Type On Keyboard. The keyboard keys are well spaced and it has good vibrational feedback (it shimmies when you hit a key). This makes it easier to type on. I actually like its keyboard better than that of the iPhone. There is also a handwriting keyboard option (like the old Palm Pilots had, only better).
- It has AllShare. For me, this is the Holy Grail. AllShare is Samsung’s home network media sharing feature. I can take photos and video, walk into my living room and push a button to play it on my TV. I can find photos, music or movies on a computer on my home network, or on my network attached storage drives and send the files to my TV. It’s so futuristic and easy. And it really does work.
- Picture Taking Modes Make it As Good as a Compact Digital Camera. It takes beautiful photos and has different picture taking modes including a smile detection mode that will wait until people are smiling to take the picture (well…). It has most of the features of a compact digital camera.
- Easy to Dial. The phone keys pad is larger than other phones, making it easier to read and easier to dial numbers.
- Big Most-Used App Icons. The icons on the home page are in color and larger than other phones. Again, making it easier to see and to press the app icon you want.
- Direct Downloads or Rentals. It will have the Samsung media hub to buy or rent movies and TV shows directly to my phone.
- It plays my iTunes music.
Yes, if ever I have to jump ship from my iPhone and get an Android phone, hands down, this is the one I’d want. In fact, I’m heart-broken to have to give it back.